bookjunkee

Adventures of a Book Junkie

Beware of Incessant Rambling. Seriously. Consider yourself warned. However, if you want more, check out my blog at www.toofondofbooks.com

The Mockingbirds - Daisy Whitney I'm surprised at the amount of crappy reviews for this book. Lots of complaints about Alex being a flat character and the premise not being believable. I'll admit right off the bat that I am a horribly shallow reader. I am not one of those people who is analyzing the theme and archetypes while reading. I can barely ever figure out who the killer is. That being said, I really enjoyed The Mockingbirds. It was an easy and enjoyable read. The topic of date rape is a sensitive one and I think Daisy Whitney did an excellent job of covering the way a prep school girl deals with the aftermath. I didn't think Alex was flat. The start of the book is her waking up in a strange boy's bed. She finds out she's not a virgin anymore by seeing 2 condom wrappers. She can't remember anything from the night before. Oh, and she's a junior in high school. I can only imagine the feelings she has through out the book are true. The idea of a seemingly underground society of sorts run by students to protect the students? I love it. Add Martin as a super swoony boy? I'm sold. If i could give this book a million stars, I would. I'm already starting the second book, The Rivals. I'm hoping for lots of Martin.